Regional Planning, University of Massachusetts-Amherst
Ann-Margaret Esnard is a Distinguished University Professor in the Department of Public Management and Policy. She was hired in 2013 as part of the University’s Second Century Initiative hire on Shaping the Future of Cities. Her expertise encompasses urban planning, disaster planning, and hazard and vulnerability assessment.
She has been involved in a number of research initiatives, including NSF funded projects on topics of population displacement from catastrophic disasters, school recovery after disasters, long-term recovery, and community resilience. She served as the Chair of GSU’s Council for Progress of Cities from 2014-2016, and currently serves as a member of the Committee for Measuring Community Resilience led by the National Academies of Sciences, Engineering and Medicine.
Dr. Esnard is also the Associate Dean for Research and Strategic Initiatives for the Andrew Young School of Policy Studies.
- Sapat, A. and Esnard, A-M. (Eds.). 2017. Coming Home after Disaster: Multiple Dimensions of Housing Recovery. CRC Press: Boca Raton, Fl.
- Lewinson, T., O. Maley, and A-M Esnard. Accessing Faith-Based Organizations using Public Transportation: A Qualitative and GIS Study. Journal of Applied Gerontology. http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/pdf/10.1177/0733464816687220
- Lai, B.S., R. Lewis, M.S. Livings, A.M. La Greca and A-M Esnard. (In Press). Posttraumatic Stress Symptom trajectories among children after disasters: a review. Journal of Traumatic Stress.
- Esnard, A-M and A. Sapat. Transnationality and diaspora advocacy: lessons from disaster. Journal of Civil Society 12(1):1-16.
- Marshall, J.T., Rowberry, R. and Esnard A-M. 2016. Core Capabilities and Capacities of Developer Nonprofits in Post-Disaster Community Rebuilding. Natural Hazards Review 1061/(ASCE)NH.1527-6996.0000225
- Esnard, A-M and A. Sapat. 2015. Vulnerabilities Magnified: A Closer Look at Disasters and Displacement. Pp. 201-216 in: Cities and Disasters (Ed. D. Downey). CRC Press: Boca Raton, Florida.
- Esnard, A-M and A. Sapat. 2014. Displaced by Disasters: Recovery and Resilience in a Globalizing World (Routledge Press: Taylor and Francis).
- Mitchell, C.M., A-M. Esnard and A. Sapat. 2012. Hurricane Events and the Displacement Process in the United States. Natural Hazards Review 13(2):150-161.
- Esnard A-M, A. Sapat and D Mitsova. 2011. An Index of Relative Displacement Risk to Hurricanes. Natural Hazards 59(2):833-859
- Esnard, A-M and A. Sapat. 2011. Disasters, Diasporas and Host Communities: Insights in the Aftermath of the Haiti Earthquake. Journal of Disaster Research 6(3): 331-342
- Sapat, A., C.M. Mitchell, Y. Li and A-M Esnard. 2011. Policy Learning: Katrina, Ike and Post-Disaster Housing. International Journal of Mass Emergencies and Disasters 29(1):26-56
- Welsh, M.G. and A-M Esnard. 2009. Closing Gaps in Local Housing Recovery Planning for Disadvantaged Displaced Households. Cityscape: A Journal of Policy Development and Research 11(3):87-104.