Upsilon Sigma is an international, multidisciplinary honor society established by the Urban Affairs Association (UAA) in 2018. Upsilon Sigma is dedicated to recognizing and encouraging excellence in scholarship, leadership, and engagement in urban studies and related fields. The Society’s mission is to promote academic excellence and enrich the educational experience of undergraduate and graduate students pursuing degrees that enhance our knowledge of an increasingly urban world.
The Georgia State University chapter of Upsilon Sigma was established in 2019 at the Urban Studies Institute. The chapter offers inductees access to a network of members and alumni at GSU and further afield, as well as resources from the Urban Affairs Association
Membership in Upsilon Sigma is by invitation and is limited to students who demonstrate academic excellence in a degree in Urban Studies or a related field of study.
As the issues and policies that impact urban places and populations are examined within a wide variety of academic disciplines at Georgia State, Upsilon Sigma welcomes applications from students whose work focus on any aspect of the social, political, economic, spatial, physical, historical, cultural, and environmental dynamics of urban contexts. Dues of $35 per student inductee are required upon initial induction. No annual student member fees are required by the national office after initial induction.
Candidates for undergraduate degrees may be inducted if they have:
- Completed a minimum of 12 credit hours (or the equivalent) of coursework towards their major or minor in Urban Studies or a related field of study;
- Attained at least a 3.5 GPA in coursework in their major or minor;
- At least sophomore standing; and
- An overall GPA of at least 3.0
Candidates for graduate degrees may be inducted if they have:
- Maintained a GPA of at least 3.7 overall, and
- Completed at least 50% of the required coursework for their degree.
Membership in the chapter is open to qualified candidates including persons with disabilities, without regard to age, color, gender, national origin, race, religion, and/or sexual orientation.
- Students who are inducted into Upsilon Sigma chapters shall be granted the right to identify themselves as honor society members.
- Each inductee will receive an official certificate of membership. This distinction will add a unique element to a student’s record and give clear indication of significant academic achievements.
- Membership in Upsilon Sigma will give students access to both campus-based and national networks of fellow honor society members.
- Student members will be eligible for special discounts to become UAA members and to attend annual UAA conferences.
For more information contact Faculty Advisor Prof. Jean-Paul Addie: [email protected].
URBAN STUDIES SOCIETY
The Urban Studies Society at Georgia State (USS) is a university-wide student club for anyone interested in cities and urban issues. The Society brings like-minded undergraduate and graduate students to explore the interdisciplinary field of urban studies. USS hosts events, workshops, hot topic forums, volunteer days, and much more.
For more information, email [email protected]. You can also follow USS on Twitter @UrbanStudentGSU and Instagram